I made waffles. It’s serious… I’ve made waffles before, but they were never good. They were blah. I knew I could do better, I just didn’t know how. Sue Gregg has entered into my life and I am a changed woman. She has shown me the way. I was kind of skeptical at first. But, blender waffles are the ONLY way to do waffles. They must be done the Sue Gregg way and you will become a believer too!
Yes, what you see above will create waffles, I promise.
Start with dumping 2 cups of brown rice in the blender. Yes, I said brown rice.
Dump in 2.5 cups of vegan kefir yogurt OR 2.5 cups vegan yogurt thinned with vegan milk of your choice OR 2.5 cups of vegan milk with 1 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (this makes vegan buttermilk).
Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
Blend. Let everything get all incorporated and then go to bed. Well, you don’t have to go to bed, just leave the waffle batter in the blender covered, on the counter overnight. Sue Gregg explains this as the two step process. I just call it planning ahead. The grains get to soak and get all softened up and break down from the acid in the yogurt OR buttermilk. So in the morning, all you have to do is add some last minute ingredients…
Add 2 tablespoons of flax seeds and blend.
Add a enough milk to open up your vortex. Once that hole is open, dump in 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Quickly turn off blender. You don’t want to overwork the batter once the baking soda has been added.
Make sure you have plugged in your waffle iron and coated it with oil.
You might want to hurry up and make these before she chews off her fingers.
Drool. Moan. Repeat.
It’s more than okay to top these with So Delicious coconut yogurt, maple syrup and nuts or nothing or jelly or berries. It’s up to you.
Even toothless babies can eat these nutritious delicious whole grain waffles.
Awww. She wants to share. Not really.
Disclaimer: I did this in a Vitamix with double the recipe of what Sue Gregg has on her website for blender waffles. She states that a regular Oster with the glass container will do. I have a Vitamix and I have four children. Doubling the recipe was necessary. 😉
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2.5 cups of vegan kefir yogurt OR 2.5 cups vegan yogurt thinned with vegan milk of your choice OR 2.5 cups of vegan milk with 1 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (this makes vegan buttermilk)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of flax seed
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Coconut Spray Oil
- Waffle Iron
- Turn on waffle iron.
- Blend everything except the last three ingredients. Let batter rest overnight or 6-8 hours. Blend batter again add more liquid until hole forms in middle. Add flax seeds, blend, then add salt and baking soda and quickly shut off blender...
- Coat waffle iron with oil. Proceed as directed per the instructions of your waffle iron.