Sandwiches may possibly be the world’s most perfect meal. Two slices of bread bookending an endless array of combinations. I can eat anything between two slices of bread…and I mean anything.
R U serious…anything?
Let’s see…I have eaten spaghetti sandwiches, mac n’ cheese sandwiches, beans n’ rice sandwiches, Vegenaise and ketchup sandwiches, cucumber and cheese sandwiches, hummus sandwiches, bean curd sandwiches, lasagna sandwiches, seaweed and couscous sandwiches…the list goes on. I think you get the point…I love sandwiches. But besides eating whatever is leftover from last night’s dinner in between two pieces of bread, I can make some rather wonderful sandwiches – really, I can.
The Marinated Tofu sandwich is definitely one of my favorites. It is full of flavor and great to send to school in your vegan child’s lunchbox.
- One block of Extra Firm Tofu sliced in 1/4 inch pieces – this should yield about 12 to 13 pieces
- Layer and arrange in a dish to await the marinade
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Bragg’ s Liquid Amino
- Drizzle olive oil and liquid amino over the sliced tofu
The Dry Seasonings:
- 1/2 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Add your dry seasonings to the party and work into the tofu. You’ll need to flip, rotate and massage the tofu to distribute all of that luscious flavor.
Now that your flavors are all mixed in, you can serve immediately or marinate overnight to intensify the flavors. I usually serve right away because I am impatient…and greedy!
For your sandwich assembly:
Alright everybody…STOP!…It’s veggie time!
- Lettuce leaves – washed and dried (I am using red leaf here)
- Plum tomatoes – sliced
- Green onions – finely sliced
And of course, Vegenaise. We are using the Grapeseed variety, or purple label, because it utilizes the healthiest oil.
Let’s put this sammie together, shall we?
- Spread a little or a lot of Vegenaise on your bread and sprinkle some dried oregano and granulated kelp.
- Add your marinated tofu to one side of the bread and drizzle some of the marinade on the other side for that extra punch of mouth watering, spectacular sandwich flavor
- Add some green onions
- Slice up some Ste Martaen Smoked Gouda vegan cheese
- Add the Smoked Gouda vegan cheese
- Add tomatoes, then lettuce.
Another masterpiece. Job well done! Serve with some of your favorite chips or some Goodness Rice Cakes and you have yourself a terrific lunch or light dinner.
A bonafide winner! For you and your children.
Now that’s good eatin’!
Nahum St. Martin